Useful Accommodation Information & FAQs

Here are some of our frequently asked questions, if you have a question that is not asnwered below please feel free to contact our office on +44 (0) 20 7244 1960.

The frequently asked questions have been divided into four categories:

Booking Information

How do I book?
Please return the completed application form to KSS. You will be sent an Accommodation Offer, Accommodation Agreement and cost/ payment details typically within 5 working days. An Accommodation Offer normally stands for 1 week, if payment has not been received within this time the Offer will be cancelled. Parents must read the Accommodation Offer and the Agreement and sign and return these along with payment to KSS to make the reservation.

How to secure my booking?
Fees are paid in advance and must be received before a booking can be confirmed by KSS. A Statement of the required payment will be sent with your Accommodation Offer.

Can you assist with visa applications?
Students are responsible for arranging their own visa applications, KSS cannot assist with visa applications beyond writing a letter to confirm when accommodation arrangements have been made.

What if I would like to terminate my pre-booked accommodation arrangement?
Please note that students wishing to terminate their pre-booked accommodation arrangements early will not be granted a refund of fees and must pay the whole fees for the period stated on their Statement of Fees. Please read our Accommodation Agreement for more information.

Do I have to follow any house rules?
Students are required to abide by the rules of their accommodation; students are presented with the Rules of their Residence when booking and are required to read and sign the rules before they arrive. Any student whose behaviour does not meet with the agreed rules of the accommodation may be asked to leave the accommodation without refund of fees.

Do I need a Guardian?
All students living in KSS Accommodation are required to have an Educational Guardian or UK based Emergency Contact during their time in the UK. Details must be submitted in the Accommodation Application Form and any changes should be sent to KSS.

Can I choose where my room is in the building?
Rooms are allocated by KSS staff, however if you have a particular preference we will try and accommodate it.

Payment & Deposit Information

Is booking fee refundable?
Booking fee; where this is applicable, is non-refundable (Please refer to our Accommodation Agreement).

When will my damage deposit be returned?
A final inspection of your room will be carried out prior to you moving out. If any deductions are required they will be discussed with you at this point, if you are not present at the checkout we will as soon as practicable at the end of the tenancy inform you whether any deductions are proposed to be taken from the deposit.

If there is no dispute then we will repay or keep the Deposit, according to the agreed deductions and the conditions of the Tenancy Agreement. Repayment of the Deposit or any balance of it will be made within 28 working days of the Landlord and the Tenant agreeing the allocation of the Deposit. It is your responsibility to provide us with full bank details.

Do I need to pay council tax?
If you are a full time student you will not need to pay council tax.

How can I pay my accommodation fees?
You can pay over the phone using a debit/credit card, make a bank transfer.

Please note if you use a credit card, charges will apply.

When do I need to pay my accommodation fees?
The payment dates are shown on the invoice(s) sent with your Accommodation Offer. It is your responsibility to ensure the payments are made on time.

Contract Information

Can I move in before the start date?
It is not normally possible to move in prior to your contract start date. Please speak to KSS staff in the first instance.

Can I move out early?
For full information about move out procedures please contact KSS staff and refer to your Accommodation Agreement.

How can I cancel?
Please refer to our Accommodation Agreement for more information.

Accommodation Information

What about safety and security?
All properties are equipped with CCTV monitoring equipment and some properties operate secure key or fob system, to gain entry into the building.

Can I personalise my room?
You are responsible for ensuring that you leave your room and flat in the same condition that it was given to you. You will be asked to fill in and return a 'Check In Inspection Record', to record the condition of your room within 48 hours of moving in and you must ensure that any personalisation of your room does not result in any damages or you may incur repair charges. 
The Residence staff will carry out flat and room inspections throughout the year and at the end of your contract and we would advise you to make an appointment for inspection well in advance.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room?
Students are responsible for cleaning their own room.  However they can purchase a room cleaning service prior to arrival.  Communal areas should be kept clean and tidy at all times; however cleaning staff do attend regularly throughout the week. 

Where can I collect my post?
Your post will be delivered either directly to your flat or to your nominated post box. As this differs at each location, please make yourself aware of the process on your chosen location. The Residence staff will usually take delivery of parcels on your behalf although KSS cannot accept any responsibility for items that are lost or damaged.

Can I have guests to stay overnight?
No, unfortunately due to the nature of our accommodation being mainly for under 18's KSS is not able to permit any overnight guests in the residence. All visitors should always report first to the duty supervisor when they arrive and again when they leave.

Where can I wash my clothes?
Laundry facilities are provided at every KSS accommodation. A Laundry service also available to purchase prior to arrival.

Where can I smoke?
In the interest of fire safety, smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the residence. All rooms and communal areas are fitted with smoke detectors and alarms for the safety of all residents.

The tampering or covering of any smoke detector in the residence will be taken extremely seriously and could result in the student being removed from KSS accommodation. A fire drill will be carried out by the Health & Safety Officer to ensure all students know, and are familiar with, the fire evacuation procedures.

How to report faults/ problems?
Any maintenance problems with rooms or equipment should be reported to the duty supervisor who will arrange for a technician to check/repair.